The active ingredient in ginger can help fight infections. Gingerol, the bioactive substance in fresh ginger, can help lower the risk of infections. In fact, ginger extract can inhibit the growth of many different types of bacteria. It is very effective against the oral bacteria linked to inflammatory diseases in the gums, such as gingivitis and periodontitis. Fresh ginger may also be effective against the RSV virus, a common cause of respiratory infections.
Must Know Facts About Ginger:
Though ginger has a load of health benefits that comes packed with it, here are some must-know facts about this healthy spice.
- Ginger is used for medicinal purposes to cure inflammation, pain and nausea. The use of ginger dates back to 3000 years of rich history. It has never changed in its medicinal properties since time immemorial.
- Ginger helps in treating Asthma.
- Ginger can reduce menstrual cramps.
- Excessive intake of ginger cause acid reflux, diarrhoea and irritation in the mouth.
Now that you know that ginger is very useful for your health, here are some pointers that will shed some more insight in what way is ginger said to be beneficial for you and your family.
1. Reduces Cold and Flu:
Winter is the best climate to sip a hot cup of ginger tea and this will automatically stabilize your body condition and keep you warm. It enables you to sweat once you consume it and this is said to be good for your body. So, if you are suffering from a bad cold and flu all you need to do is to prepare some ginger tea and you will feel better in no time.
2. Good for Your Heart:
Ginger is good for your heart such that it reduces cholesterol and lowers your risk of having any sort of blood clots. Most importantly, it regulates blood sugar levels. Ginger can in future become an integral medicine for treating diabetes and heart diseases. So, a little bit of ginger added to your everyday diet can work the trick of keeping your heart healthy.
3. Treats Inflammation:
Inflammation is said to be the process wherein white blood cells protects us from infection and viruses. But sometimes this may go wrong and cause severe joint pain and so forth. In this process, your bodies immune system begins to cause damage to its own tissues thus resulting in inflammation. Ginger consists of anti-inflammatory components and antioxidants that can cure inflammation.
4. Prevents Cancer:
According to a study by the British Journal of Nutrition, researchers found that ginger was very effective in blocking prostate cancer cells and their growth. However, due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it is able to reduce your risks of having cancer.
5. Ginger Improves Brain Functionality:
The anti-inflammatory properties available in ginger can also keep you alert and helps in good brain functionality. It basically increases your presence of mind. Ginger root can improve cognitive function as per a study by the Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
6. Treats Muscle Pain:
Ginger is said to cure muscle pain and all you need to do is to consume 2 grams of ginger may it be in the form of powder or paste, you will witness the difference within 11 days. Also, it is advised that you conduct some simple elbow exercises in order to experience speedy relief. It may not have a faster impact, instead, it is a much safer way in which you can stay away from side-effects that western medicines offer.
7. Treats Severe Indigestion:
Severe indigestion is also called chronic digestion or dyspepsia that involves re-emerging pain and severe discomfort in the upper part of your stomach. If your stomach does not empty itself soon, it causes indigestion and this scenario ginger can empty your stomach faster and prevent indigestion. Ginger soup can do the trick an can help you empty your stomach within 20 minutes after consumption.
8. Prevents Nausea:
If you have vomiting sensation then you need to ginger as a natural home remedy to prevent it. All you need to do is to chew some raw ginger or simply sip some hot cup of ginger tea and this will cure you of nausea and reduce your risks of having cancer. If you are suffering from nausea due to motion sickness, then ginger again plays the trick. The best part about ginger is that it is best to use even when you pregnant and it prevents nausea quite well.
9. Ginger Protects the Liver:
Ginger is said to protect you from harmful chemicals that can hurt your liver. It also reduces the risks of your liver from ageing. There are heavy metal and drugs that get sedimented on your liver and ginger is said to wash it away. Most importantly it protects your liver from damaging and scaring.
10. Ginger Reduces Menstrual Cramps:
The pain that a woman goes through during her menstrual cycle may be unbearable for some, but ginger can succumb to that pain. It is said that 1 gram of ginger a day can ease menstrual cycle if take for a continuous 3 days.
11. Ginger Reduces Cholesterol Levels:
Ginger is said to reduce cholesterol that is linked to having a high risk of heart diseases. However, if you want to reduce cholesterol then you need to consider adding 3 grams of ginger powder added to your food.
12. Ginger Can Kill Bad Bacteria:
Ginger has the capability to kill bad bacteria and viruses that are prevalent in the cellular structure. How good can it ever get to kill bad bacteria by just consuming some ginger? All you need to do is to add ginger to your everyday diet and you will witness the changes. Moreover, ginger can be consumed in raw form as well as cooked form. A little bit of ginger tea can do the trick.
13. Protects you From Alzheimer’s Disease:
Ginger is said to be a preventive agent against Alzheimer’s disease and chronic inflammation including anti-ageing. There are several studies that have conducted research on the Alzheimer’s disease on lab rats and found that ginger is a good repellant to people suffering from Alzheimer’s diseases.
14. Ginger Protects DNA:
Ginger protects your DNA from getting damaged and causing deformity among newborn. Also, some researchers conducted a study covering 100 fertile men wherein they were given 500mg of ginger powder for a continuous 3 months and this had resulted in the increase of sperm quality. Thus, ginger is said to protect your DNA.
15. Ginger Treats Osteoarthritis:
Osteoarthritis is commonly found among most old people wherein people suffer from severe joint pain and stiffness in the joints. A study had employed 247 people as samples and gave them ginger extract. Shockingly, this has resulted in a reduction of joint pain. Also, a little bit of ginger, cinnamon and sesame oil can helps in reducing the pain faced by osteoarthritis.
Health Benefits of Ginger for Skin:
If ginger has healing capabilities, well, you need to know that this spice is also good for your skin. So if you are battling yourself with acne every day then you need to consume ginger every day and this will help you bid goodbye to acne. Here are some of the medicinal benefits of ginger on your skin.
- Anti-Ageing: Wrinkles are the first sign of ageing and a little bit of ginger tea every day can remove those wrinkles and prevent ageing.
- Glowing Skin: Applying a little bit of ginger on your skin can refresh your skin and make it glow. The same can be the case if you just have a glass of ginger tea.
- Skin Toning: Ginger makes your skin look healthy and softens it, thus making it look young and fresh.
- Reduces White Scars: Ginger has the capability of reducing white scars and all you need to do is to just place a piece of ginger on the white scars for a minimum of 15 minutes and this will do the trick. Healing whiteheads naturally is better than going in for skin treatments that may make your skin appear even worse.
Health Benefits of Ginger for Hair:
Ginger is also said to be good for your hair such that it prevents hair fall and dandruff. Here are some of the benefits that ginger can do to your hair:
- Helps in Hair Growth: Ginger increases the blood circulation to the scalp of your hair and this enables hair growth.
- Prevents Dandruff: Ginger consists of antiseptic properties that help prevent dandruff. Consuming ginger helps you sweat and when you sweat from your hair, it produces natural oils that act as antiseptics preventing dandruff.
- Treats Split Ends: Ginger has antioxidants in it that can prevent split ends and dry hair related problems.
- Reduces Hair Fall: Ginger root can prevent hair loss. It can be consumed in the form of food or tea or sometimes you can make it a paste and place it on your hair and allow it to dry for some time.
Side effects of excessive ginger consumption:
In small doses, ginger has few side effects. High doses of ginger — more than 5 grams a day — increases the chances of side effects. Ginger on the skin may cause a rash. Consumption may cause:
- Upset stomach
- Mouth irritation