The bounty on Vikas Dubey, the gangster who has been missing since Friday after killing eight policemen, has been increased to Rs 2.5 lakh. Additional Director General Law and Order Prashant Kumar said today: “The cash reward for the arrest of Vikas Dubey has been increased to Rs 2.50 lakh by UP Director General of Police HC Awasthy.”
Eight policemen, including a Deputy Superintendent of Police, were killed when they went to a village in Kanpur in the early hours of Friday to arrest Dubey, one of the state’s most notorious criminals charged in 60 criminal cases including murders.
Dubey, said to be in his 50s, has been missing since the massacre. In the past, he had been arrested several times but had always escaped conviction. The bounty on him was earlier increased from Rs 50,000 to one lakh.
A photo of Dubey has been put up at a check-post near the India-Nepal border. Dubey was reportedly last traced to Auraiya and the police suspect he may have left UP and escaped to Madhya Pradesh or Rajasthan. Four policemen suspected to have tipped off Dubey about teams heading to his village to arrest him have been suspended.